Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Sonali does Preparing/Packing


 I was going to write two separate posts but decided to combine it!

Prepping:
I don’t claim to be fully prepared for this trip but here are some of things I did that I think will pay off.
  1. Getting in shape: Some of you might already be in good physical condition and are prolly laughing at this post right now. But for the rest of you, this might be new. I realized pretty quickly that I WAS NOT in the best cardio shape. So I started taking zumba classes (at least once sometimes twice a week) this January.  I also resurrected by Bharatnatyam(Indian Classical dance) skills last September. In fact, I performed a couple of months ago and the training leading up to it ended up having a dual purpose.  Both zumba and bharatnatyam improved my overall stamina and strengthened my quads/legs. In addition to these, my friends and I hiked a few of the local trails. Granted these are no way near the elevation we’ll actually be climbing at, but I think it helped.
  2. Learning Spanish:  I started learning espanol on an ad-hoc basis last year using Duo Lingo(highly recommend). But the trip motivated me to practice on a fairly regular basis. I’m happy to report that I’ve completed all but 2 lessons and I’m hoping this pans out well for me. I’m fairly certain I can translate written Spanish.  Spoken Spanish is going to be tricky unless they slow it down.  But yes, I’m looking forward to practicing it for real.
  3. International Roaming: Those were the long term preparation goals.  I recommend getting some kind of international talk/text/data plan. (ask your cell phone provider).
  4. Credit Card on Travel Mode: This is one of my biggest pet peeves: Getting my card denied while on vacation. I usually call the bank and put all my credit/debit cards on travel mode so they don’t accidentally flag me for it. Some banks let you do this online as well.


Packing:
So what are the essentials (and non essentials) for this trip, you ask?
  1. Clothes: I got some all-round good advice from friends and the internet. Since we’ll be traveling in different microclimates I had to think this through. For warm places, where we’ll be right under the sun, I recommend sun shirts. These have UPF (SPF for fabric) that protects you from the sun and are lightweight at the same time. Bottom line, you’ll sweat less. I tested this out at 84 degrees this past weekend.  For rain forests where it’ll be hot and humid (with very real threats from mosquitoes) wear light cotton/linen clothes that covers your entire body (except your face maybe).  In general layer up (it gets cold in the evenings this time of the year). In fact, if you are cold blooded like me, definitely take a warm jacket! If you are a girl, take capri activewear (these are the perfect length for being out in the sun).
  2. Mosquito Repellents: The doc recommended mosquito repellent ointment is Ultrathon (with 34.34% DEET). Also I got these mosquito repellent bands you can wear on our arms or ankles (haven’t used them yet though).
  3. Adapters: Make sure you take a couple of the universal all-in-one adapters.  Now, this only works for dual voltage devices. Most of Bolivia (except La Paz) and Peru are on the 220V system. So if you need your hair straightener or hair dryer to work, make sure they are dual voltage. The alternative is to take a converter with you but trust me those things are heavy and you don’t want to do it!
  4. Microfiber Towel: These things are awesome: very absorbent, stink free meaning you can use it in the rain forest without having to worry about washing/drying it.
  5. Sunscreen, Sun Hat or Visor: Take your sunscreen, just do it. If you are allergic like I am, they have mineral based ones that works just as well. I recommend: Lavanila The Healthy Sun Screen SPF 40. Also, don’t forget to take a hat or a visor (I know, the Asians know where it’s at).
  6. Socks and Underthings: Take them.
  7. Good Sunglasses: I’ve never been one to splurge on sunglasses, but I wised up this time around.  My boyfriend thinks my face is on the tiny side and that the usual ray bans make me look like the Giant Bug lady. He is not incorrect. I finally found one that fits me: Classic Aviator Small RB3044 (52mm).
  8. Good pair of hiking shoes: Renegades if you are hard core. Just make sure you've hiked in these shoes before you take them.
  9. I always carry an empty duffel in my check-in for those unexpected shopping sprees!


 I think that covers most of it! Hope this helps!


No comments:

Post a Comment